Native OKStars Summer Research Program
The Native Oklahoma Science Training and Research Students program is designed to encourage American Indian students, in their junior or senior year, to pursue a career in the medical field and contains a cultural component from the Office of American Indians in Medicine and Science.
Native OKStars will be resuming in 2022. The program begins June 6, 2022, and concludes July 15, 2022. Please check the website for updates and email email@example.com if you have any further questions.
- Participate in a research atmosphere that is usually reserved for graduate students
- Work with a Native American faculty mentor and medical student mentor
- Learn about the various paths to medical school and careers in STEM
- Participate in Research Day at OSU Center for Health Sciences.
Dates: June 6, 2022 - July 15, 2022
- Fill out the online application
- Request a current high school transcript be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org
Application deadline will be mid-April.
For more information contact us at email@example.com
Students applying to the OKStars Summer Research Program must meet the following requirements:
- Be a high school junior or senior
- Meet any other requirements are listed on the application form
Research Focus Areas
- Forensic Sciences: DNA/Biology, Toxicology, Psychology
- Biomedical Sciences: Anatomy, Biochemistry, Cell Biology, Microbiology, Vertebrate Paleontology
- Data Mining: Statistics, Data Analytics and Innovation, Rural Health Trends
- Athletic Training
All applications will be reviewed by an OSU Center for Health Sciences’ faculty selection committee, and decisions will be based on merit, taking into account all information provided by applicants. Decisions will be made by early May.
The summer research experience is extensive and each scholar is expected to:
- Participate between 25-30 hours per week (Monday through Friday) during the program duration.
- Schedules can be flexible depending on the faculty and medical student mentor. Applicants should be aware of the requirements and time commitments.
- Participants are required to attend weekly lunches and discussions. Details regarding lunches and discussions will be provided at orientation.
All program fees will be covered by OSU Center for Health Sciences at no cost to the student.
Housing and Transportation
Housing and transportation are not provided.