Human Subjects Research Training
All personnel (i.e., principal investigators/instructors (PIs), research faculty/staff, graduate students, laboratory technicians, students, etc.) involved in human subject research must complete prescribed mandatory training prior to protocol approval.
OSU-CHS offers an online training course provided through the Collaborative Institutional Training Initiative (CITI), which is hosted by the University of Miami.
Online Training Instructions
If you previously registered with CITI as being affiliated with Oklahoma State University Center for Health Sciences, simply enter your existing username and password in the appropriate fields. Then add a course or update your learner groups to begin training.
- Go to https://www.citiprogram.org/
- New users must click "Register" to obtain a username and password
- Select Oklahoma State University Center for Health Sciences as your "Organization Affiliation" and click continue
- Enter your personal information (first name, last name, email address) and click continue
- Create a username, password and select a security question and click continue
- Enter additional personal information (gender, ethnicity, etc.) and click continue
- Select "No" regarding the option to receive Continuing Education Unit Credit for Completed Courses" and click continue
- Fill in all required information indicated by an *.
- Select the "Basic human subjects – Biomedical Basic Human Subjects."
- Biomedical Research Investigators: Choose this group to satisfy training requirements for Investigators and staff involved primarily in biomedical research with human subjects.
- Social & Behavioral Research Investigators: Choose this group to satisfy training requirements for Investigators and staff involved primarily in Social and Behavioral research with human subjects.
- IRB Members: This Basic Course is appropriate for IRB members.
- Research with data or laboratory specimens- ONLY: No direct contact with human subjects.
- Click "Complete Registration."
- Select "Finalize registration."
- Select the course you intend to complete.
- Select "Complete the Integrity Assurance Statement before beginning the course."
- Select "I agree" and click "Submit."
- Complete the required modules and any associated quizzes. You should complete the required courses first, and then you may complete any of the elective/optional courses you wish. You do not have to complete the training modules in one sitting.
Once you complete the course(s), you can print a completion report. In addition, you should be able to save your CITI completion report as a Microsoft Word document or a PDF file. CITI will automatically notify the Office of Research of completion results (pass/fail). Print your completion report and keep a copy for your records.