Learn About Deadly Fentanyl
Know the Facts about Fentanyl Poisoning
The drastic increase in opioid overdose deaths is largely due to fentanyl poisoning.
Illegal fentanyl is cheaper than most other drugs on the streets and is being intentionally substituted into cocaine, heroin, methamphetamines and other drugs to make more money and get people hooked.
The drugs may look authentic, but there’s no way of knowing the contents. Sometimes drug dealers don’t even realize they are selling contaminated drugs.
According to the United States Drug Enforcement Administration, nearly half of illegal pills tested for fentanyl contained lethal quantities of fentanyl.
Fentanyl is a powerful and highly addictive opioid similar to morphine but about 50 - 100 times more potent.
It doesn’t take much Fentanyl to cause a fatal reaction. Let’s put this into perspective:
- A lethal dose of Fentanyl for an average person is considered to be about 2 milligrams.
- A lethal dose of cocaine starts at about 1000 milligrams.
- A grain of rice is approximately 25 milligrams.
- Anesthesiologists typically administer .05 to .5 milligrams of Fentanyl for a surgery depending on the type of surgery.
- OK I'm Ready connects Oklahomans with substance use disorder to treatment, prevention, education and support resources.
- U.S. DEA: Facts About Fentanyl
- Fentanyl Facts
- DEA Laboratory Testing Reveals that 6 out of 10 Fentanyl-Laced Fake Prescription Pills Now Contain a Potentially Lethal Dose of Fentanyl
- Alert: DEA Reports Widespread Threat of Fentanyl Mixed with Xylazine