Partnering with OSDE
Oklahoma’s current student-to-school counselor ratio of 411:1 is significantly higher than the recommended ratio of 250:1. School counselors and school-based mental health professionals play an integral role in helping students build academic, college and career, and mental health regulation , thus positively impacting student mental health and well-being. We are at a critical moment that calls for advancing a new paradigm for student supports in schools, one that will provide wraparound resources and have outcomes that expand beyond the classroom. (As a result of this work, school counselors will be required to serve in leadership capacities, and be empowered to lead district student support efforts. This work will require our school counselors to be placed in leadership capacities and be empowered to lead districts in all student support efforts that remove barriers and increase academic success.
Launch date: Thursday, October 12th, 2023 from 9-10 AM CST. TeleEmpower will meet
once a month on Thursday,
The following outcomes are expected from participation in TeleEmpower:
- Enhanced leadership capacities for school counselor and student support staff
- Capacity building of districts as they implement a Multi – Tiered Systems of Support and School Counselor Framework
- Shared understandings of challenges faced by school counselors
- Development of strategies to address those challenges
- Enhanced school counselor efficacy as they grow in their ability to communicate and collaborate with stakeholders
- Enhanced school district understanding of social capital (access to resources, support, etc.) through networks established in TeleEmpower
- Decrease in challenges as school leaders, teachers, and counselors work together
Who Should Join?
School counselors, student support staff, school leaders and teachers.
Oklahoma State Department of Education
Project Manager, Program RESPECT
Program Manager; College and Career Readiness
Program Manager; Prevention and Intervention Services
Program Manager; Comprehensive School Counseling
Program Director for Student Development