OSU College of Osteopathic Medicine
Goals and Objectives
OSU COM Mission
Oklahoma State University College of Osteopathic Medicine educates osteopathic primary care physicians with an emphasis on serving rural and underserved Oklahoma.
OSU COM Vision
Oklahoma State University College of Osteopathic Medicine will be recognized for:
- Fulfilling the health care needs of rural and undeserved Oklahoma
- Producing graduates who are dedicated, effective, and compassionate community leaders
- Providing excellent care and health-related community service
- Being a leader and innovator in education
- Being the medical school of choice
OSU COM Core Values
EXCELLENCE - We seek excellence in all our endeavors, aspire to new heights, and are committed to continuous improvement.
INTEGRITY – We are committed to the principles of truth and honesty, and we constantly strive to be fair, equitable, impartial and professional.
SERVICE – We believe that serving others is a noble and worthy endeavor.
INTELLECTUAL FREEDOM – We believe in ethical and scholarly questioning in an environment that respects the rights of all to freely pursue knowledge.
DIVERSITY – We respect others and value diversity of opinion, freedom of expression, and other ethnic and cultural backgrounds.
STEWARDSHIP OF RESOURCES – We are dedicated to the efficient and effective use of our resources. We accept the responsibility of the public’s trust and are accountable for our actions.
Goals of Oklahoma State University College of Osteopathic Medicine Curriculum
- Professional, trustworthy osteopathic practitioners using patient centered approach to analyze clinical problems, informed by current literature and to consider issues across the biological – psychological – social continuum
- Lifelong learners
- Reflective practitioners with the habit of assessing the impact of the medical practice on the lives of patients and vitality of the community
- Civic leaders
- Compassionate, committed, and caring physicians who embrace the osteopathic philosophy
Objectives of Oklahoma State University College of Osteopathic Medicine Curriculum
- Identify, critically analyze, and solve problems that consider issues across multiple contexts as osteopathic practitioners related to patient care
- Demonstrate knowledge of evidence-based practice in the treatment of patients and the application of relevant research.
- Perform appropriate diagnostic and treatment skills that encompass the understanding and application of new scientific knowledge to patient care
- Effectively lead and communicate with peers and healthcare team members
- Demonstrate effective physician-patient interactions
- Initiate and sustain life-long learning in order to remain well-informed of relevant scientific evidence related to patient care and medical research
- Effectively provide premier quality of care driven by compassion, integrity, honesty, cultural awareness, and ethical principles
- Demonstrate the osteopathic philosophy in medical practice while upholding the Osteopathic Oath in professional conduct
- Apply medical knowledge and skills to provide exemplary patient care to underserved and rural Oklahoma communities
- Incorporate osteopathic manual manipulation as a diagnostic and treatment modality in patient care